Expand your media universe by adding old-fashioned “retro” and arcade games, via Plex Arcade. Included with the subscription is a library of games from that most hallowed of names in retro gaming (Atari) or you can bring your own retro game ROMs. Play the games on your mobile phone or other connected device and you can control them with on-screen controls or connect a regular gamepad to the device.
With Plex Arcade, we have included 20+ games that can be automatically downloaded when you create a new Games library.
- Play on supported Plex clients, no additional software needed
- Works locally and remotely
- Add your own game ROMs and emulator cores
- Share your Games library with friends (they will need their own Plex Arcade subscription)
Related Page: Plex Arcade Frequently Asked Questions
To use Plex Arcade, you need:
- Plex Media Server version v1.21.2 or newer (running on Windows or macOS)
- An account from our partner (Parsec) linked to your Plex account (make sure to confirm your Parsec account via email too)
- An active Plex Arcade subscription for the Plex account (this is not the same thing as a Plex Pass subscription)
Note: Plex Arcade is not currently supported on “headless” servers or for Windows users using a third-party tool to run Plex Media Server “as a service”. See our frequently asked questions article for some more information.
The following Plex client/player apps currently support accessing Plex Arcade:
- Amazon Fire TV
- Android (mobile)
- Android TV
- Apple TV
- macOS (desktop) (Keyboard control only; no gamepad support)
- Plex Web App (Chrome- and Chromium-based browsers only)
- Windows (desktop) (Keyboard control only; no gamepad support)
Note: Android devices must be running Android version 6.0 or higher (Fire OS 6.0 for Fire TV devices) and support OpenGL ES v3 or higher. iOS devices need iOS 13 or higher.
Creating a Games Library
From Plex Web, choose the
Games option when creating a library. You create the library like you do any other media type on the server.
You will be given the option to install the games provided by Plex. Please note that this can only be done while creating the library. You will need to create a new Games library to get those games if you change your mind later.
The screen also checks whether your current Plex account has an active Plex Arcade subscription (which is required for the feature). If you don’t yet have a subscription, you can use the link to be redirected to our website to start a new Plex Arcade subscription.
Related Page: Plex Arcade Subscriptions
If you already have your own game ROMs stored in a folder, or want to choose where the included games will be installed, you can also choose that folder here. If you don’t choose, a Games folder will automatically be created in your Plex Media Server data directory and install the classic Atari games there.
Tip!: Do not place your own game ROMs in the default Games folder that gets created in the server data directory; they won’t work correctly there. If you wish to add your own games later, please edit the library and add the folder you wish to use as a second location. Plex Media Server will not download and install the provided Atari games if this folder already exists.
Related Page: Naming and organizing Game files and Cores