Beginning with version 5.1.0 of our Android app, the old "TV layout" of the app has been replaced with the new, improved, big screen app interface (which has already been available on Amazon Fire TV devices). This new interface is available to (non-touch-capable) Android devices running Android 4.4 or newer. The old TV layout is no longer supported and will not be available in releases going forward.
Devices running Android versions older than 4.4 will not be able to use our new, improved layout. Users on such devices can continue to use the old TV layout by running an older version of the Android app and never upgrading it.
If you have already upgraded to version 5.1.0 or newer of our Android app, it can take varying levels of work for you to revert to an earlier version, depending on the capabilities of your device.
Note: Our "TV" layouts have never been intended for use on mobile, touch-capable devices. The new TV layout does not support touch input and will not be available on such devices, even if they run Android 4.4 or newer.
Tip!: While running the older version of the Android app will let you continue using the old TV layout, you will not get any new app features or fixes that are released in newer app versions. To get fixes and updates, and also to enjoy the benefits of our new TV interface, consider updating your device to a newer version of Android.
If you have not yet upgraded to 5.1.0 or newer
In cases where you have not yet upgraded, you simply need to ensure that you don't install any app updates so that you remain on the older version of the app. Specifically, you will need to disable Auto-update for the Plex for Android app.
If you have already upgraded to 5.1.0 or newer
If you've already upgraded to version 5.1.0 or newer, then you'll need to do some work to get back to a previous version of Plex for Android that still supports the old TV layout. This isn't necessarily easy and we are unable to provide specific support if you have trouble with this, but we'll give you some general instructions.
- Uninstall any existing version of Plex for Android.
- If you installed the application through Google Play, disable Auto-update for the Plex for Android app (otherwise the version you're about to install might get overwritten automatically by a newer version that no longer supports the old TV layout).
- Enable Install from unknown sources in your device "Security" settings.
- If your device has a browser, navigate to the appropriate link below with your browser, which should initiate the download of the Plex for Android APK file. Once the download is complete, tap on the downloaded file and follow the instructions to install it.
- If your device doesn't have a browser, download the appropriate file (linked below) to your computer and then sideload it onto your device.
Downloads: Unless you specifically know otherwise, you almost certainly need the ARM version.