The Plex for Android app can be downloaded free in the Google Play and Amazon app stores. While many features of the app are available to use for free and users can test out all of the features, the app must be unlocked in order to access full functionality.
The following functionality is available without unlocking the Plex for Android app:
- Unlimited casting/flinging of photos and videos from the Camera Roll on your phone or tablet to other Plex apps that support Plex Companion
- Unlimited casting/flinging of any media on your Plex Media Server to other Plex apps that support Plex Companion
- Remote control your big screen Plex apps that support Plex Companion
- Browse libraries from your own or shared Plex Media Servers
- LIMITATIONS: When playing or viewing media from your Plex Media Server on the device:
- Video is limited to one minute of playback
- Music is limited to one minute of playback
- Photos will have a watermark added
There are many ways to unlock full functionality for the app.
Related Page: Unlocking or Activating Plex for Android
Related Page: Plex Companion
Related Page: Why can't I see Chromecast on my Amazon-based Android device?
Unlocking the app will remove all limitations to video and music playback and viewing of photos and will allow full access to the app.
Note: Unlocking the app does not automatically provide you access to Plex Pass features such as Mobile Sync or Camera Upload. You will need a Plex Pass subscription in order to make use of those features.