The Plex for Android app can be downloaded free in the Google Play and Amazon app stores. While many features of the app are available to use for free and users can test out all of the features, the app must be unlocked in order to remove playback limitations when streaming from a Plex Media Server.
The following functionality is available without unlocking the Plex for Android app:
- Unlimited casting/flinging of photos and videos from the Camera Roll on your phone or tablet to other Plex apps that support Plex Companion
- Unlimited casting/flinging of any media on your Plex Media Server to other Plex apps that support Plex Companion
- Remote control your big screen Plex apps that support Plex Companion
- “Movies & Shows” video on demand content from Plex
- free Live TV channels from Plex
- Browse libraries from your own or shared Plex Media Servers
- LIMITATIONS: When playing or viewing media from your Plex Media Server on the device:
- Video is limited to one minute of playback
- Music is limited to one minute of playback
- Photos will have a watermark added
There are multiple ways to unlock/activate the app to remove the playback limitations when streaming from a Plex Media Server.
Related Page: Unlocking or Activating Plex for Android
Unlocking the app will remove the playback limitations when streaming from a Plex Media Server.
Note: Unlocking the app does not provide you access to Plex Pass features such as Mobile Sync. You will need a Plex Pass subscription in order to make use of those features.