Plex VR for Samsung Gear VR lets you watch your Plex content in a virtual reality theater.
To make use of Plex VR for Gear VR, you will need:
- A compatible phone
- Samsung Galaxy S7 and up, Samsung Galaxy Note 6 and up
- The Gear VR headset (controller optional)
- The Plex VR app downloaded from the Oculus Store
- Plex Media Server version 1.8.1 or later if streaming from a Plex Media Server.
Note: Plex VR for Gear VR is not the same as the “Plex for Android” mobile app or the “Plex VR” app for Google Daydream.
After launching the Plex VR app, you will be prompted to sign in to your Plex account. Switching Plex Home users is not a feature at this time. This means that managed user accounts cannot sign into the app currently.
- To bring up the settings, click the settings icon on the right of the server selection menu.
- Click the touchpad when your laser pointer is hovered over a menu item or scene object (like drinks/popcorn).
- Click and hold the touchpad when your laser pointer is over a selected item to grab it in your hand. Try throwing things or placing them on the table next to you!
- When a video is playing:
- Click the touchpad for on screen controls.
- Swipe up and down on the touchpad when hovering over the screen to resize the screen (if available).
- Click and hold the touchpad to move the screen in the scene (if available).
- The Back key to stop playback and return to the video navigation menu.
There are three main navigation screens: Browsing, Playback, and User Settings.
The Browsing screen is much like the standard layout of many Plex apps. It starts out on your Home Discovery screen with Continue Watching, On Deck, and Recently Added content from the selected server.
The server currently being browsed is at the top of the screen and the libraries you have access to from that server show up in a row across the top. Click the magnifying glass on top right to search the active server.
Starting playback. Select an item with the laser pointer to bring up its box and read the info. Select the orange playback button to start playback.
During playback of standard projection video, click the touch pad to bring up more information.
- Left of screen will have info on the currently playing item.
- Right of screen will depending on content being watched and what is available; On Deck, Related Movies, or Extras.
- Center Playback controls for Pause, Back 10s, Forward 30s, Playback settings, and Menu navigation
- Press the Back key to return to playback
Open settings by clicking on the gear icon to the right of the Server selector and Search icon
- Left : The Scene for your VR experience. “Void” and “Luxury Apartment” are free. “Drive-In Theater” is a premium scene that requires an active Plex Pass subscription (however, everyone can test it for free for the first 7 days after sign in).
- Right: Close Settings, Sign out.
- Center: Select your avatar and text highlight color.
Playing back 360º and 3D videos
Plex VR supports both 360º and 3D videos. There are multiple ways to play back a video in 360 or 3D.
- Select the video playback settings button from the on-screen controls, and then select Left/Right or Top/Bottom from the menu.
3D-OUto the filename of your video (depending on the 3D format) on your Android device or Plex Media Server computer. (e.g.
Avatar (2009) 3D-SBS.mp4)
360º or 180º
- Select the video playback settings button from the on screen controls, and select the 360 projection from the menu.
Proj-180to your filename on your Android device or Plex Media Server. (e.g.
Trippy Sphere - Proj-360.mp4)
Frequently Asked Questions
Where can I play videos from?
Plex VR can play back:
- Any videos on a Plex Media Server that you have access to. (The Plex Media Server may have to transcode.)
- Any videos in common video locations (Downloads, Movies, etc.) on your Gear VR-compatible phone. Video must not need transcoding for playback.
Why are the Galaxy S6 variants not supported.
Performance on the Galaxy S6 variants was found to be too poor to provide a good experience, so it is not supported. The app will not show up in the Oculus store for unsupported devices.
How do I turn on subtitles?
Subtitles are not supported for this first iteration of Plex VR.
Where are my Photo and Music libraries?
Photo and music libraries are not currently supported in Plex VR.
Why does Plex VR require certain app permission?
Storage permission is required to play back local videos off of your device.
Does the app work if the device is offline?
Yes, you’ll be able to watch videos stored on the device that way. Keep in mind that you’ll need an internet connection in order to sign in to your Plex account the first time you launch the app.
When is Plex coming to [other VR platform]?
We’re definitely interested in bringing Plex to more VR platforms. However, we don’t have any specific details or ETA to share at this time, sorry.
When is Watch Together coming to Gear VR?
Watch Together is planned for Gear VR but will not be available at launch. Sorry no ETA, but we hope to have it soon.
When are 3D and 360º videos coming to other player apps or the Plex Media Server?
No other Plex app currently supports automatic switching based on file name on the various devices they may be played on. We hope to address this in the future but again sorry, no ETA.