Our Plex app for Windows and Mac computers is a standalone application that has the layout of our regular web app, but pairs it with much more robust playback capabilities as well as the ability to download items for offline use.
- Windows: Windows 10 or later (64-bit only)
- Mac: 10.13 High Sierra or later (64-bit only)
- Plex Media Server version 1.16.3 or newer is required for downloading of content for offline use
Installation and Signing In
The app is available at any time from our regular Downloads page. Installation follows the platform’s standard installation method.
- Download the Windows Installer .exe file
- Run the installer and follow the usual installation prompts to complete installation
- At the final screen, click the Launch button. If you don’t select this, launch the App from the Start Menu, or Desktop shortcut
- Download the Plex .dmg file
- Double-click the DMG to mount it
- Drag the Plex app from the DMG window to your Applications folder
- Launch the Plex app from the Applications folder
Tip!: You can drag the app from the Applications folder to your Dock to allow one-click access to the Plex.
When launching the app for the first time it will have a sign in button on screen. When clicked it will open the the web browser on your computer. Once signed in to your account in the browser, the Plex app will go to your home page or through the initial setup.
To completely remove Plex for Windows from your Windows computer, first make sure Plex is not running.
Initiate an uninstall for Plex as normal via the Control Panel in Windows.
Then delete the following directory:
To completely remove Plex for macOS from your macOS computer, first make sure the Plex.app is not running.
Using the Finder’s “Go” menu, select Go To Folder… then enter the following in the dialog box that pops up:
Plex inside the Application Support directory.
Delete the actual application itself in under Applications (e.g.