There are two aspects or roles to Plex Companion:
- Controller: This is the Plex App you use for control. Think of it roughly as the "remote control device".
- Receiver: This is the Plex App that's used to actually display and play back the content.
Many Plex Apps are able to play either role, but some are more restrictive.
Controller and Receiver Plex Apps
These Plex Apps can act either as a Controller or a Receiver.
- Plex Web App
- Windows and Windows Phone
These apps can only be used to control other Plex apps.
- Amazon Alexa voice control
Related Page: Alexa Voice Control
Receiver-Only Plex Apps
These Plex Apps or devices are only able to receive content and cannot themselves control another App.
- Amazon Fire TV
- Android TV
- Apple TV
- Plex Media Player
- Smart TVs (non-Samsung models) & TiVo**
- Xbox 360**
- Xbox One**
- Plex Home Theater
- Samsung Smart Hub (v2.006+, third-party)
* Chromecast can only be controlled via the Android, iOS, or the Plex Web App.
** Requires local Plex Media Server version 0.9.12.8 or higher.
Related Page: Plex Downloads