Plex lets you stream your media anywhere, on any device.
And, it’s really simple to start using…
How it works:
- Install and run the Plex Media Server on a computer (or compatible NAS device) where all your media is stored and managed in movie, TV show, home video, music, and photo libraries.
- Install and open the Plex App on virtually any device—smartphone, tablet, smart TV, streaming device, game console, personal computer, or any browser.
- Wherever you are, press play, sit back, and enjoy your media as it streams from the Plex Media Server to your device.
For the entire list of Plex features, see this page.
Once you are up and running, you can:
- Share home movies from your Chicago Mac with Grandma on her Roku in France.
- Stream music from your PC in London to your iPad while abroad in Tenerife.
- See photos on a SoHo LG Smart TV while they are stored in your Brooklyn brownstone.
Plex supports these media file types
Plex Media Server supports all common media files:
- Movies, TV Shows, and Home Video: MP4, MKV, AVI, MOV, DIVX, and more
- Music: MP3, M4A, FLAC, WMA, and more
- Photos: JPG, PNG, RAW, TBN, and more
Plex Media Server compatibility
Plex Media Server is supported on computers running all the major operating systems as well as NAS devices:
- OS X
- NVIDIA SHIELD
- Netgear Nighthawk X10 router
- Many popular NAS devices such as Drobo, Netgear, Synology, and more
Use Plex on these devices
Plex apps work with the all the market leading devices and brands:
- Browsers: Chrome, Edge, Firefox, Internet Explorer, and Safari
- Mobile Apps: Android, iOS, Windows, and Windows Phone
- Tablets: Android, iOS, and Windows
- Smart TVs: LG, Samsung, Sony, Toshiba, VIZIO, and Roku TV
- Streaming Devices:
- Amazon Fire TV
- Android TV
- Apple TV
- Gaming Consoles: PlayStation 3 and 4, Xbox One, and Xbox 360
In addition to running the Plex Web App in a browser, desktop computer (and HTPC) users can also run our Plex Media Player app. This is aimed at users wanting to use Plex in their HTPCs or to have a “home theater” type experience. It provides advanced audio and video playback capabilities to give you the best experience possible.
Related Page: Plex Apps
There is so much more you can do with Plex. From tracking what you watch to remote access, collecting and queuing videos across 150+ sites, organizing and tracking all your media, optimizing media for devices or bandwidth, and protecting your privacy, Plex is a powerful and rich media platform for the home. See the entire list of features here.
Related Page: Plex Features
With the Plex Pass subscription, you can do even more. First, there are premium features—sync media to the cloud, sync media to your mobile for offline access, and automatically push mobile photos to your Plex Media Server. Then, there are premium music libraries, parental controls, and much more. Learn Plex Pass Introduction.
Related Page: Plex Pass Introduction