When using a Plex player (e.g. client) app, the first thing you’ll usually do is to connect it to your Plex account. Connecting or linking your app signs it in to your Plex account, which has multiple benefits, including:
- Help Plex apps locate and connect with an owned or shared Plex Media Server
- Many Plex apps (such as PlayStation, Smart TVs, and Xbox) will only work when both the app and server are signed in
- Allows player apps to connect securely to a Plex Media Server that’s also signed in
- Make use of Plex Pass subscription features, if you’re a subscriber
- Access your server when away from home (if you’ve successfully enabled Remote Access for your server)
- Access shared content from family or friends
The way you connect an app to your account can vary, depending on which app you’re using.
Related Page: Sign in to Your Plex Account
Sign in Directly with Email/Google/Facebook/Apple
Apps where you can easily type things (e.g. mobile apps, the web app, and our website) will allow you to directly sign in to your Plex account. You can use any of the standard sign-in methods for a Plex account:
- Email (or username) and Plex account password
- Google Login
- Facebook Login
- Sign in with Apple
Related Page: Use Google, Facebook, or Apple to Sign in with Plex
Connect to Your Account Using a Link Code
Our big screen apps (such as Android TV, Apple TV, smart TVs, etc.) generally allow you to connect the app to your account by way of a 4-character link code. This allows you to connect to your account without having to laboriously enter login credentials via an on-screen keyboard or similar.
- The first thing you’ll generally see is an information screen, giving a little info about Plex and telling you where to sign up to create an account, if you don’t have one already. Assuming you do have an account, you can choose the Sign In button.
- You’ll be presented with a 4-character code, which is what you’ll use to connect the app with your Plex account.
- In your browser on your desktop or mobile device, go to https://plex.tv/link and ensure that you’re signed into the appropriate Plex account.
- Enter the 4-character code and submit.
- After the code is submitted, your player app will refresh itself a few seconds later and be linked with your account.
Related Page: plex.tv/link