The Plex channel for Roku players does not require linking with a Plex account in order to be able to use the channel, but we do certainly encourage doing so since it provides a better experience.
It isn’t unusual to have to use an account alongside a service. For instance, using the Roku player at all requires having a Roku account.
Related Page: Connect a Player App to Your Plex Account
Why use an account?
Signing in with a free Plex account can help your apps find and connect to your Plex Media Server without having to worry about all kinds of complicated network things. As just one example, it’s useful when your Roku player and Plex Media Server are on different subnets, which is a situation in which automatic discovery can fail.
Signing in to your Plex account has multiple benefits, including:
- Help Plex apps locate and connect with your Plex Media Server
- Many Plex apps (such as PlayStation, Smart TVs, and Xbox) will only work when both the app and server are signed in
- Let your server get a certificate to allow How to Use Secure Server Connections
- Make use of Plex Pass Subscriptions features if you’re a subscriber
- Access your Server when away from home (if you’ve successfully )
- Access Remote Access and Granting Library Access from family or friends
Related Page: Sign in to Your Plex Account
Related Page: Why can't the Plex app find or connect to my Plex Media Server?