The Plex player app on the Xfinity X1 platform is available for accessing our free, streaming content. This player app is designed specifically for accessing the free streaming content that Plex provides.
Note: The Plex app for X1 does not support the ability to access personal media from a Plex Media Server.
Related Page: X1 platform information
Accessing the Plex App
- Press the Xfinity button on your Voice Remote.
- Select Apps and find the Plex app
- After highlighting Plex, launch by pressing OK or the center of the directional pad on your Voice Remote.
While a Plex account is not required to use the app, a free account does allow you to keep track of content you’re watching and continue watching the free movies & TV you have started on other Plex apps, as well as set up managed users with profiles (to control rating restrictions and which Plex content is available).
You will need a computer or smart phone with web browser to create and sign the app in to your account:
- In the Plex for X1 app, click the Sign In option on the top right of the page and then click Sign in on the next screen
- The screen will display a URL and a link code with information on linking to an account
- In a browser on your computer or smart phone, go to https://plex.tv/link which will first ask you to create an account or sign in if you already have one
- Enter the link code shown on the app
- After a few seconds, the app will recognize the code has been entered and link the app to your Plex account
Tip!: If you wish to set a username for your account (separate from the email address), you can do so from your Account page at any time.
Switching Users and Plex Home
If you’ve created and signed in to a free Plex account, you can create “Managed Users” for other people that live with you (such as for children). This allows you to quickly switch between the users, so each person has their own content watch history. You can also set restrictions on the kind of content the managed user can access. This group of users is collectively called a Plex Home.
- Click on your username towards the top of the left side bar
- Choose Switch Users on the menu screen
- Click on another user if you already have one or hit the + sign to create a managed user
- Select which profile you wish to use for the managed user that will determine the content ratings of things available to that account
- Give the managed user a username and hit done
Related Page: Plex Home
Controlling Content Access
Plex offers a wide range of free content, including on-demand Movies & Shows, Live TV, Podcasts, and Web Shows. In some cases, you may wish to control what type of content a managed user has access to (for instance, with a child’s managed user). Plex offers parental controls for managing this.
Related Page: Parental Controls
Customizing the Home Screen
On the main screen of the Plex app you can choose which content sources show up in the side bar or need to be accessed from the More menu
- Navigate to the side bar and move up or down to focus on a content source, such as Podcasts
- When the source is focused move left and select the three vertical dots to choose options for that source:
- Choose Unpin, which removes it from the immediate sidebar and content from that source will no longer appear on the home screen (you can still access the source from the More menu in the sidebar)
- Choose Reorder to move that source up or down, allowing you to customize the source of the sidebar sources
Related Page: Customizing the Big Screen Apps
Help & Support
If you are having any trouble with the app or just have some questions, please visit our forum to create a new forum topic with the
Clicking on this link will bring to directly to the appropriate forum category with the tag already added when you hit New Topic: https://forums.plex.tv/tags/c/plex-players/115/x1-set-top