You can enable logging in the Smart TV app, which will have the app send log data to the selected Plex Media Server (or optionally to a visual overlay in the app itself). It can be useful to enable this, reproduce the issue and gather the Plex Media Server log, then disable logging in the app.
Related Page: Which Smart TV models are supported?
Log to a Plex Media Server
If you have access to a Plex Media Server (your own or one a friend has granted access to), then it’s often easiest to have the app send logs to that server.
- In the app, open the Settings and go to Advanced > Log to Media Server and enable the setting for the desired Plex Media Server
- Reproduce the issue you’re experiencing
- Turn off the logging (set back to
- Gather your Plex Media Server logs (specifically, the
Plex Media Server.logfile is most important)
Tip!: The logging can be pretty active, so we we recommend you only enable it when reproducing an issue for investigation. Also, leave the Logging Level setting at the default of
Debug, unless specifically requested otherwise.
Related Page: Reporting issues with Plex Media Server
Log to the Console Overlay
If you do not have access to a Plex Media Server (of your own or a friend that has granted you access), it’s possible to have the app logs displayed in a visual overlay in the app itself.
- In the app, open Settings and go to Advanced > Show Console Log Overlay and enable it.
- Logs for the app will appear over the interface, in the top left corner.
- Try to take a picture or video with your cellphone or similar as you reproduce whatever issue you’re having.
- Make sure that the log text is legible (in the picture or video) and share it with us on our forums. If the picture or video is too large you may need to upload it someplace like Dropbox or Google Drive first and then link to it from your forum topic.
Related Page: Forums: Plex Players > Smart TVs
Report the Issue
Once you’ve reproduced the issue and gathered the Plex Media Server log zip, you can report it in our support forums. Post a description of the problem in the forums if you haven’t already. Be sure to attach the log file you gathered to your forum post.