Plex has allowed you to create a music library to allow access to all your music content for years. For most of that time, though, it was a pretty basic experience. Sure, the basics were there to let you browse your artists and albums, sort by genre, and other simple things like that. Now, though, Plex lets you take your music library up to eleven!
Note: To make use of newer music features, you need to be running Plex Media Server version 0.9.12 or newer.
Related Page: Plex Downloads
Beyond simply letting you browse and play your music, Plex brings a lot of great features to let you make the most of your collection.
- Popular Tracks for artists
- Similar Artists
- Upcoming tour dates
- Adding Local Artist and Music Videos music videos
- How do I use multi-disc support for my music libraries? support
- Robust editing for artists, albums, and tracks
- Quickly Changing Artist, Album, or Track Information
- Listen to your music in different Plex apps
- Access your music content when Enabling Remote Access for a Server
- Server Sharing with friends
Users with a Plex Pass subscription can take advantage of premium features to elevate your experience even higher!
- Gracenote sonic fingerprinting: Even if your collection is tagged poorly (or not at all!), get awesome matching.
- Better artwork, bios, album reviews: Get the best metadata possible, because your music collection deserves it.
- Lyrics from LyricFind: Automatically have Automatic Lyrics from LyricFind added to your library that you can view whenever you want (even timed lyrics, so you can follow along!).
- Plex Mix: How do I start a Plex Mix?; it’s like your own personal radio station.
- Mood mixes: Your individual tracks have How do I use mood information for tracks or albums?, so you can make a Cheerful, Rousing playlist to start your day.
Tip!: To take full advantage of these premium features, you’ll need to create a new Premium music library (not refresh an existing regular music library).
Create a Premium Music Library
If you have a Plex Pass subscription, then you can create a Premium music library, which gives you access to all of the best features!
Note: It’s not currently possible to convert a basic music library into a Premium one. You need to create a brand new Premium music library.
Related Page: Creating a Premium Music Library
Related Page: Can I convert my existing music library to a Premium library?
Regular Music Library
All our users—whether you have a Plex Pass subscription or not—can use our regular music libraries. They’re still great and let you make use of the regular features listed earlier, but they won’t have the premium features.
Have a Plex Pass Subscription?
If you have a Plex Pass subscription, you can still have lyrics from LyricFind automatically gathered for your library.
Tip!: Want all the bells and whistles? You’ll want to create a new Premium music library instead!
Lyrics are gathered via your metadata agents. You need to make sure you have your LyricFind agent enabled.
- Open Plex Web App
- Go to Settings > Server > Agents
- Select Albums in the top row
- Select Last.fm in the second row
- Check LyricFind
Refresh an Existing Basic Music Library
If you already have a regular music library on your Plex Media Server, refreshing it to take advantage of the new free features is super easy. Remember, though, if you want all of the new features, you’ll need a Plex Pass subscription and to create a new Premium music library.
- Open Plex Web App
- Enter the regular music library
- Open the library actions menu and do a Refresh All
Once your library is refreshed, you’ll have access to the new features such as Popular Tracks, Similar Artists, and upcoming tour dates.
Related Page: Scanning vs Refreshing a Library
Create a New Basic Music Library
If you don’t already have a music library, you can create a new basic music library just like you would for any other library on your Plex Media Server. That will let you take advantage of the free features. As before: if you want all of the new features, you’ll need a Plex Pass subscription and to create a new Premium music library.
- Add a new library
- Select the “Music” library type
- Choose a name
- Browse to where your music is stored
- Select the basic music library
- Set any advanced options you desire
- Save the library and wait for it to scan in
Tip!: For the best results, you’ll want to sure that you follow our music naming and organization recommendations.