Plex Home allows you to set up a group of users that all use Plex together. For instance, there might be a family of users (parents and children) that all use Plex on various devices connected to the same Plex Media Server in their house. The Plex Home feature is intended for people that physically live together.
Note: You can only be a member of a single Plex Home. Accepting an invitation for a second Plex Home will remove you from the first one.
Plex Home Features
Enabling or joining a Plex Home gives you several features.
- Free Plex accounts may have up to 14 managed users total in your Home (15 total users including the Home Admin account).
- Plex Pass users can also add regular Plex accounts to the home in addition to creating managed users (still bound by 15 total member limit)
The administrator for a Plex Home has the ability to create Managed Users within that home. These are often used by parents to create an account for their children, for instance.
Managed Users do not have any email address associated with their account and cannot directly sign in to any app. (The admin or another full account that’s a member of the Plex Home needs to sign in to the app and then the Managed User can be switched to.)
Related Page: Managed Users
Fast User Switching
Being in a Plex Home allows you to quickly switch between members of the Home in supported Plex apps. For supported apps, you can quickly switch between Home members without having to manually sign out and back in to the app.
Note: Once in a Plex Home, you can switch to any other member of the Home in supported apps. The only limitation is that members protected with a PIN will need to be unlocked by entering the correct code before they can be used.
Related Page: Fast User Switching
Protect via PIN code
Members of a Plex Home can have a PIN code set on their account. When set, it means that the code must be entered when switching to that account in a supported Plex app. For instance, parents may wish to put a PIN on their account so that their children can’t freely switch to the parent account.
Note: Remember that setting a PIN on an account is not a replacement for good account security. A PIN should not be considered true security and is provided as a convenience to help control access when young children are involved. Do not share your account password/credentials with others and do not let others access your account.
Home admins can add content ratings profiles to managed user accounts.
Related Page: Parental Controls
Free Access to Plex apps (Plex Pass).
If the admin of the Plex Home has an active Plex Pass subscription, all members of a Plex Home (both Managed Users and regular accounts) will be able to use our regular mobile Plex apps from the various app stores without doing a separate one-time, in-app activation purchase.
- Regular accounts in the Plex Home only need to sign into the app using their account and it will recognize they are in a Plex Home and allow use of the app.
- For Managed User accounts, the Home admin or another regular account in the Home must sign in first, then switch to that Managed user. From then on, the Managed User will be able to select themselves in the user menu when they open the app.
Related Page: Free Access to Plex Apps
Live TV and DVR access
Plex Pass server admins that have set up Live TV & DVR can choose to enable access to just Live TV or both Live TV and DVR for individual members of their Plex Home.
Related Page: Restrictions on Library Access
Consequences of Being in a Plex Home
When you create a Plex Home, there are certain things you should be aware of that may be important to you.
- There is a single admin for the Plex Home; this is the user that created the Home originally.
- When switching to another member, you have all of the access and abilities of that user.
- Some changes will be made on the Server:
- Any App, device, or tool communicating with your Server will need to be signed in to a Plex Account.
- The DLNA server will be disabled by default.
- You need an active internet connection to be able to do Fast User Switching between members of a Plex Home.