The administrator for a Plex Home has the ability to create Managed Users within that home. These are often used by parents to create an account for their children.
Note: In order to actually use a Managed User, you need to first sign into the Plex app as a regular/full member of the Home. Once you do so, you can then switch to the Managed User in supported apps.
Related Page: Example Plex Home Setup
Creating Managed Users
The admin of a Plex Home can create Managed Users under the Users & Sharing area in Plex Web App (or under the Friends area on our Android or iOS mobile apps). This is accessed under Settings > Users & Sharing.
Just like you can for a regular Plex account, you can set restrictions for a Managed User, and if you have a Plex Media Server you can share libraries. Plex Pass users will be able to set custom restrictions based on label or content ratings.
You can also create a Managed User on the fly from the Fast User Switcher screen on web, TV, and mobile apps.
- Select the Add User option
- Enter the admin’s account PIN (if it has one)
- Choose a name and rating profile
- Select which libraries to share, if you have a Plex Media Server
- Admins that have a Plex Pass can select Sync and Live TV & DVR options
Tip!: You can similarly create managed users from your Android or iOS mobile app. Access that functionality under the Friends icon at the top of the app sidebar.
Differences from Regular Plex Accounts
Managed Users have some notable differences from a regular Plex account created on the Plex website.
- No unique username is required
- No email address is required
- No password is required
- Cannot sign in directly themselves (a full/regular member of the Plex Home needs to sign in first, before switching users)
- Cannot share with users outside the Plex Home
- Cannot run a Plex Media Server of their own
Tip!: A Managed User is great for situations where the admin of a Home doesn’t want a member to need a unique username/password or else be able to interact outside of the Home, such as an account for a young child.